If you want to know more about the members of Slightly Sedated, here's the story. Three of us have been together since early in 2005, when John and Steve found Mark after a long search, and after playing for a while with Rita (who thought of the "Slightly Sedated" name). Peter joined the power trio in 2017 converting the band to a Gang of Four (not to be confused with the Cultural Revolution). Anyway, here's a little background on each of us (and a few action pics). If you have any questions, or you think we left something out, please feel free to email us at email@example.com and we'll try to answer (or maybe we'll just ignore you).
Click on the name or the picture below to jump to each bio.
John Steve Mark Peter
John: Guitar, Lead Vocals, Harmony and Harmonica (maybe)
Musical Background: Rock, punk, metal, jam band, the Dead.
- 1st band – can’t remember but I can find out.
- High School – Dark Star, Nightmare
- College - the Todd Ash Band, assorted jam bands, Aces Back to Back, Johnny and the Jumpers, Waiting for John, The Peptides, Sunshine or Sunrise, that band sucked anyway. And of course the best band ever, Slightly Sedated. I’ll think of some of the others as time goes by
Guitar influences: Peter Frampton, Duane Allman, Carlos Santana, Jerry Garcia, Steve Vai, Eddie Van Halen, Frank Zappa, Bill Nelson (Be Bop Delux)
Band influences: Grateful Dead, Allman Brothers Band, Queen, Humble Pie, Be Bop Delux, Van Halen,
Favorite (or most memorable) concerts: This is a tough one: Grateful Dead at the Civic Center circa 1980’s, Queen, David Lee Roth w/Steve Vai, Frank Zappa at The Tower Theater, Bruce Springsteen, Wendy O Williams and the Plasmatics,
- Main Guitar: 1992 Mexican Stratocaster with Seymore Duncan vintage blues pickup in the neck, Tom Anderson pickup in the middle and a Seymore Duncan invader in the bridge.
- Back up guitar: 2007 Mexican stratocaster with HSS stock pickups
- Amp: Fender Delux 90 DSP amplifier, one 12” speaker, 90 watts; clean, drive and more drive channels
- Effects: Pedal Train board, VooDoo labs power supply, Cry Baby Wah Wah (early 90’s), Boss chorus, Boss TU-2 tuner, Boss Flange, Boss digital reverb/delay pedal, Boss super phaser
Day Job: Elementary School Teacher – 7th and 8th grade
Other interests: Music, hockey
Steve: Bass, Lead Vocals, Harmony and Valve Trombone (maybe)
Musical Background: Rock, Blues, Jazz, Comedy
- 1st band/high school era – The Barcelona Brass (patterned after The Tijuana Brass, playing standards at weddings, beef'n'beers)
- non-club band background
- High School Concert & Marching Band (trumpet/valvebone), Orchestra (bass) and Chorus
- The Circuit Riders (Gospel Quartet) - played bass in backup band
- Univ. of Penn Glee Club and Pennafour (Barbershop)
- Penn Players (pit orchestra for numerous productions)
- Immaculata College Orchestra (String Bass)
- Sunshine Excursion Band (top 40 during the disco era)
- Shank - Southern Rock tribute (Allman Bros., Skynyrd, Outlaws)
- The Sleepy Hollow Band - top 40, with heavy Steely Dan emphasis
- Jelly Roll - short stint as lead singer/trombone/conga drums
- Round Up - Folk/Country/Bluegrass (Willie Nelson, Doc Watson, Alabama, stuff)
- The Peptides - late 80's era precursor to Slightly Sedated w/John. Lots of Zappa, Ramones, John Cougar, Billy Idol, U2 sound.
- 12 years off from music coaching Little League and Ice Hockey
- Slightly Sedated - and here we are today
- Also a member of the Rose Tree Pops Orchestra
Bass influences: Charles Mingus, Stanley Clarke, Ron Carter, Jaco Pastorius, Les Claypool
Band influences: Frank Zappa, Little Feat, Allman Brothers, Ween, Bromberg, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Weather Report, Don Ellis Orchestra
Comedic Influences: Marx Brothers, Monty Python, Steve Allen, Soupy Sales, Jonathan Winters, SCTV
Favorite (or most memorable) concerts: I don't get out much, so my favorite concerts are any one that Slightly Sedated has ever played.
- Main Bass: 2006 Warwick Corvette Standard 5 string fretless (w/Roland GK-2B pickup)
- Back up Bass: Peavey Millenium 5 string fretted (hardly touch it, the frets confuse me)
- Upright Bass: Prima 3/4 bass (with NASCAR flame paint job...baby), with a K&K BassMax bridge mounted pickup.
- Amp/Cab: EuphonicsAudio iMicro 500 Bass Amp (500 watts & 3.5 lbs) thru a Hartke 2200 cabinet (ported reflex cab with 2-12's and 2 horns).
- Effects: Roland GR-20 bass synth, Zoom B-2 Multi-effects, Fishman preamp (for the upright and recording)
Day Job: Retired
formerly - Director of Lockheed Martin Corporation's Engineering Process Improvement Center
Other interests: Family, Music, Tennis, Model Trains (HO modeling Tirol and Bavaria), Ice Hockey
Mark: Drums, Percussion, Lead Vocals, Vibraslap (& duct tape)
Musical Background: Started playing drums at 8 years old. Studied jazz and rock. Played in school concert and marching bands.
- Open City Mustard Revolution
- Borrowed time
- York college Jazz Band
- Sliding Delta Rhythm and Blues Band
- Wormley Creek Band
- Took about 20 years off to pursue a career and raise kids
- And now my favorite band of all time Slightly Sedated.
Drum influences: Buddy Rich, John Bonham, Danny Seraphine, Charlie Watts, Chad Smith. You have to love Ringo.
Band influences: Buddy Rich Big Band, Early Chicago, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Allman Brothers, Grateful Dead, Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Favorite (or most memorable) concerts: First concert Chicago. I saw Buddy Rich twice, he was amazing. Allman Brothers, Eric Clapton, Grateful Dead at Englishtown and BB King.
- Drums: DW Collector's Series Maple Drums.
Tama Iron Cobra bass drum pedal
Roland SPD-S Electronic Sampling Pad
- Other Drum Kits:
1967 Slingerland Gene Krupa 1N
1971 Ludwig Big Beat
Day Job: Medical Device Sales
Other interests: My kids, golf, occasional skiing and fishing.
Back to Top of Page
Peter: keyboards, guitar, vocals, dad jokes
Musical background: Rock, jam bands, classical, blues, jazz. 10 years of classical piano; picked up the guitar in high school.
Guitar influences: Steve Howe, Eric Clapton, Frank Zappa, Trey Anastasio, Vince Gill, John McLaughlin, Pat Metheny, Neil Young
- High School/college: various bands that never made it up the basement steps or out the garage door
- Post-College: Nosmo Kings, Mahi Mahi, various open mics
Keyboard influences: Rick Wakeman, Keith Emerson, Elton John, George Duke
Band Influences: Yes, Mr. Blotto, Grateful Dead, Phish, Eric Clapton, Los Lobos, Frank Zappa, Allman Brothers, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Talking Heads, Steely Dan, Red Hot Chili Peppers
Favorite concerts: Yes in 1976, Genesis (80s), Pat Metheny Group, Tedeschi Trucks Band
Guitars: PRS Angelus SE acoustic, Carvin electric
Keyboards: Korg Kross, Yamaha P115 Electric Piano
Amps: Behringer 90-Watt Ultratone K900FX PA/keyboard amp, Blackstar HT5
Day job: Statistical Programmer
Other interests: music, photography, video, metal detecting, tennis, biking